Saturday 11 December 2010

To Block a Cloche





The CLOCHE is one of my favorite hat shapes. This grey felt cloche with a flower trim is blocked as a one piece instead of a crown and a brim.
The crown block is pushed down inside the brim block as the last picture shows.
Sounds tricky but with a little patience you can produce a really lovely shape.
Once the felt is taken off the block you can then steam the brim wider, then trim into any shape you desire.
A brim reed is stitched around the brim edge to keep it in shape.


SHARE:

6 comments

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that this cloche is so charming and I love this blog. You have a fan in California!

Hope you have a beautiful holiday season.

Lee Duncan is HatStruck said...

I really like this cloche, and the stitched grosgrain edging is absolute fabulous.

Mary said...

I love that Cloche! So fab!


King Apparel Hat

Love Hats said...

What a fabulous little number. The stitched edge on the brim and flower are a great feature.

I have just found your blog. I love that you have so many great photos.

Anonymous said...

This cloche is precious!
I am ignorant about the millinery, so please, the hat block you've used is adaptable for different sizes? is it custom made? thanks!

Hat Therapy said...

Yes this is a custom made block from Boon and Lane in Luton. IT IS AN AVERAGE SIZE 22.5.
I also use it to block straw cloches for summer.
Glad you like it. It sold very quickly.

© Hat Therapy . All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig